Truck Route Petition 2016

Other topics in Mt Holly

Scott L

Truck Route Petition 2016

Postby Scott L » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:03 am

A 10-day petition effort yielded 155 signatures for City Council to represent to our government. The online petition was administered from change.org by Mt. Holly citizen, Mr. Robert Gwiazdzinski. The petition was sent to: "danny jackson, Carolyn Breyare, bryan hough, jeff meadows, and mount holly". The letter stated: "Lets do the right thing for Mount Holly, NC and get the trucks out of residential areas"

There was more descriptive text on the online petition that stated:
"we want a truck route established to keep heavy industrial traffic off of north main and out of the residential areas. why would any resident of mount holly not want to establish a truck route to keep heavy industrial traffic out of residential and downtown areas? a truck route won't take away jobs, won't hurt home values, will keep large trucks away from kids walking on sidewalks 2 feet off the road, will lighten traffic, will cost vey little to implement and make our residential areas safer"

The petition was posted here: https://www.change.org/p/mount-holly-nc ... m=copylink

The 155 Signatures follows and the public comment delivering 155 signatures to Council on the public record is found at the end:
Attachments
Signatures1.jpg
Signatures1.jpg (245.35 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Signatures2.jpg
Signatures2.jpg (252.28 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Signatures3.jpg
Signatures3.jpg (257.45 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Signatures4.jpg
Signatures4.jpg (259.12 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Signatures5.jpg
Signatures5.jpg (232.84 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Last edited by Scott L on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scott L

Re: Truck Route Petition 2016

Postby Scott L » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:04 am

Comments on the petition by those that signed it follows:
Attachments
Comments1.jpg
Comments1.jpg (230.16 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Comments2.jpg
Comments2.jpg (248.01 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Comments3.jpg
Comments3.jpg (234.77 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
Comments4.jpg
Comments4.jpg (167.7 KiB) Viewed 2034 times

Joemel321

Postby Joemel321 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:39 pm

Lighten up, if your tearing up your cars that much then your traveling to fast! Yes truckers may be going to fast at times but having drivers to get to plants from the other end of 273 just passes the problem to another neighborhood. If not for Freightliner and it's truck deliverys then The economy of Mount Holly would suffer, Just look at the Cleveland area!

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 am

Public comment delivering 155 signatures to City Council on 2/8/2016:

Council:

Regarding the proposal of routing heavy trucks off N. Main Street that Councilman Toomey submitted to you for consideration on April 13 of last year, I want to remind the new council that in the August 2015 Council meeting an agenda item appeared titled, “Discussion of Re-Routing Truck Traffic off of North Main Street “. The specific proposal that Councilman Toomey submitted was not shared with the approximately 50 people who came to see the issue deliberated. Mr. Jackson opened the deliberation stating that he required strategic direction from Council to consider “the matter” further. During the August 2015 Council meeting no motion was made nor did any vote provide the strategic direction that Mr. Jackson said he required. Only a promise to Councilwoman Breyare to discuss the matter when there was something new to discuss.

It was later reported in Council’s weekly updates that Mr. Jackson and possibly Mayor Hough were taking action towards a strategy to address truck traffic concerns with the industrial facilities up N. Main Street. Some of the results of those efforts were published in the September newsletter. Though I have inquired, I cannot determine from the public record which of my elected representatives are for or against whatever strategy it is that’s being followed.

And so today we find ourselves six months later with a petition started by Mr. Robert Gwiazdzinski. The petition was titled “Lets do the right thing for Mount Holly, NC and get the trucks out of residential areas.” The descriptive text continued “We want a truck route established to keep heavy industrial traffic off of north main and out of the residential areas. Why would any resident of mount holly not want to establish a truck route to keep heavy industrial traffic out of residential and downtown areas? A truck route won't take away jobs, won't hurt home values, will keep large trucks away from kids walking on sidewalks 2 feet off the road, will lighten traffic, will cost vey [sic] little to implement and make our residential areas safer.” After 10 days, I am here to submit to the public record so far 155 signatures in support of the petition – which is in number 43% of what it takes to be elected as a Councilperson in Mount Holly.

Thank you for hearing my comments this evening.

Scott Lilly
420 N. Main Street

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:27 am

When people wonder what's wrong with our government, we can use this petition issue to inspect each role.

The City Manager:
After the petition was delivered to Council, the City Manager (Mr. Danny Jackson) spoke on the N. Main topic under "Old Business". The City Manager appropriately separated the two issues: (1) Fixing the road, and (2) Routing truck traffic. He said that he had spoken to all stakeholders including: the NCDOT, State Rep. Torbett, and the industrial facilities. He stated that any strategic direction should come from Council. The petition is entirely about #2: Routing truck traffic -- a strategic decision that only Council can determine.

The City Manager's Grade: A+

The Mayor:
After the petition was delivered to Council, the Mayor (Mr. Bryan Hough) facilitated a vote by Council. The Mayor did not appear to steer Council in any direction but was patient and even allowed an uncomfortable silence that otherwise might have allowed the issue to close without any councilperson making a comment or taking a vote. There are accounts that the Mayor did/does work behind the scenes to manipulate people and decisions -- as any skilled politician does. But his job as a facilitator on this issue was well-performed. The Mayor's job of setting the agenda gets dinged because he allowed this controversial item to be added to the agenda at the start of the meeting. (Therefore not publishing to the community 3 days in advance the hot topic he wants added at the last minute.)

The Mayor's Grade: B

The City Council:
There is NO evidence that the City Council is doing the job of representing the people to anyone and everyone that engages with the City of Mount Holly. Not a single voter has come forth to say that their City Councilperson has solicited input from them. Not a single councilperson has contacted the organizer of the petition to inform, engage, and involve the public that they represent. And the comments any councilperson made to justify their ignoring the strategic action petition to route trucks was ill-founded and nearly irrelevant. There has been no communication from any councilperson to their voters why this voter-desired strategy should be dismissed or negotiated away. The job of Council is primarily to negotiate on behalf of their voters and the growing strategic advice coming from their voters since last August has not been well-represented by any councilperson. From the voter's perspective, the opposite seems to be true. It actually seems that councilpersons are attempting to negotiate on behalf of all stakeholders' interests except the voters. And that's simply not the job elected representatives are paid $250/meeting to do. If a councilperson's reaction to a note signed by 155 people they represent is simply to dismiss it, that should be considered non-performance and grounds to lose their job in the next election. (Councilpersons: David Moore, Jeff Meadows, Jim Hope, Jerry Bishop, Perry Toomey, Carolyn Breyare.)

The Council's Grade: F

The above is a microcosm of how our government functions. There are much larger issues and risks that a poorly-functioning government will irreparably harm the City of Mount Holly: Revision of the Strategic Vision Plan, Giving our sewer system to Charlotte, Causing and Creating Growth, Using city tax dollars to fund growth rather than improving our quality of life, Considering out-of-town developers'/property needs over the needs of our own citizens.

Let's up our game. Let's hold those we elect to represent us to a higher standard. And that means they can't simply show up and vote for whatever the City Manager and/or the Mayor wants. That's not who we elected councilpersons to represent. I'd be willing to bet the 155 neighbors named above would agree with me on that.

rgwiazdzinski

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:48 am

Very well said!!! It still baffles me how they can ignore 170ish people and take a vote with no oportunity for additional public input and the vote was polar opposite of the public input they received at that moment.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:29 pm

I have to stand up for Councilman Meadows. Post-voting, Councilman Meadows did contact me to discuss this matter. I can't say it was a productive conversation but the man did his job to engage, inform, and involve me. As a result, I have an even deeper appreciation how difficult it can be to sit in the councilman chair.

I'll give Councilman Meadows an improved grade because of his effort though I don't agree with his vote.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:29 am

A good public communication from the Manager in the March 2016 newsletter on this matter:

viewtopic.php?f=15&p=1265#p1265

Social Media

Return to “Misc”