2/8/2016 7pm

What is scheduled. what happened, and what do you think about the items in Mt Holly's City Council Meetings

mrmtholly
Site Admin

2/8/2016 7pm

Postby mrmtholly » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:01 pm

February 8, 2016
7:00 P.M.
CALL TO ORDER BY THE MAYOR
INVOCATION
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Boy Scout Troop 59
SET THE AGENDA
CONSENT AGENDA
1. Approval of Lien for Weeds and Grass (920 Noles Drive)
2. Call for Public Hearing of Rezoning on Rose Street
3. Approval of the Contract with McGill and Associates for the Parks and Recreation Feasibility Study
4. Approval of Budget Amendment (Parks and Recreation and Utilities)
5. Approval of an Amendment to the Fee Schedule to the Fire Suppression
6. Approval of a Resolution to Approve Advertising for the 2014 Outstanding Taxes
7. Approval of the minutes of the January 11, 2016 Council Meeting
8. Approval of the minutes of the January 25, 2016 Work Session Meeting
PRESENTATIONS
1. Special Recognition Mayor Hough
2. A Resolution Honoring Ron Ensley Upon His Retirement from American and Efird Mayor Hough
3. A Resolution Honoring Rick Connell for his Years of Service with the Boy Scouts Mayor Hough
4. Presentation from the Mount Holly Historical Society regarding a 100 Years Flood Commemoration—Marie Anders and Mary Smith
PUBLIC HEARING
1. Public Hearing for a Conditional District Rezoning of Phase 4 in Dutchman’s Ridge Brian DuPont
2. Public Hearing on Establishing a Goal for HUB Participation and Approval Marie Anders
of Goal and Outreach Plan
PUBLIC COMMENT – Three (3) Minute Limit
OLD BUSINESS
NEW BUSINESS
1. Consideration and Approval of the Grant Application Process for the 2016 NCDENR Mark Jusko
Community Waste Reduction and Recycling Grant
2. Notice of Annexation Petition Brian DuPont
OTHER BUSINESS
CLOSED SESSION
ADJOURN

Scott L

Re: 2/8/2016 7pm

Postby Scott L » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:35 pm

Council added a few items to the agenda at the beginning of the meeting. One of which was discussion of the re-routing of the truck traffic on N. Main. Council voted not to re-route heavy truck traffic off N. Main. This was immediately following the submission of 155 signatures on a petition to ask council to re-route heavy truck traffic.

WSOC TV was there to report the story and it can be seen on 2/8 at 10pm on channel 64 and 11pm on channel 9.

rgwiazdzinski

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:22 pm

that is very disappointing to hear, i will love to hear their reasoning behind this vote.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:44 pm

WSOC-TV covered this council meeting:

http://m.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/mt- ... fic/nqL7r/

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:31 am

Public comment delivering 155 signatures to City Council on 2/8/2016:

Council:

Regarding the proposal of routing heavy trucks off N. Main Street that Councilman Toomey submitted to you for consideration on April 13 of last year, I want to remind the new council that in the August 2015 Council meeting an agenda item appeared titled, “Discussion of Re-Routing Truck Traffic off of North Main Street “. The specific proposal that Councilman Toomey submitted was not shared with the approximately 50 people who came to see the issue deliberated. Mr. Jackson opened the deliberation stating that he required strategic direction from Council to consider “the matter” further. During the August 2015 Council meeting no motion was made nor did any vote provide the strategic direction that Mr. Jackson said he required. Only a promise to Councilwoman Breyare to discuss the matter when there was something new to discuss.

It was later reported in Council’s weekly updates that Mr. Jackson and possibly Mayor Hough were taking action towards a strategy to address truck traffic concerns with the industrial facilities up N. Main Street. Some of the results of those efforts were published in the September newsletter. Though I have inquired, I cannot determine from the public record which of my elected representatives are for or against whatever strategy it is that’s being followed.

And so today we find ourselves six months later with a petition started by Mr. Robert Gwiazdzinski. The petition was titled “Lets do the right thing for Mount Holly, NC and get the trucks out of residential areas.” The descriptive text continued “We want a truck route established to keep heavy industrial traffic off of north main and out of the residential areas. Why would any resident of mount holly not want to establish a truck route to keep heavy industrial traffic out of residential and downtown areas? A truck route won't take away jobs, won't hurt home values, will keep large trucks away from kids walking on sidewalks 2 feet off the road, will lighten traffic, will cost vey [sic] little to implement and make our residential areas safer.” After 10 days, I am here to submit to the public record so far 155 signatures in support of the petition – which is in number 43% of what it takes to be elected as a Councilperson in Mount Holly.

Thank you for hearing my comments this evening.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:39 am

rgwiazdzinski wrote:that is very disappointing to hear, i will love to hear their reasoning behind this vote.

What was missing from the deliberation and vote on this issue that our elected leaders don't want to discuss: how did "what the voters want" factor into their decision? They can site all kinds of things about what they think or want excused -- but never once has any elected official represented what their constituents want on this matter or how that should be considered in their negotiations with those who want heavy industrial trucks running through our neighborhoods. Isn't that the part of "elected representative" that seemingly our council doesn't do? And if we elect people that aren't negotiating on our behalf, then what ARE they doing?

Laura L

Postby Laura L » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:07 am

The agenda to the city council meetings are publicly published a certain amount of days before the meeting so the public will have time to review and decide if they want to attend and even speak at the meeting.

So, when items are added to the agenda verbally at the beginning of the meeting, what does that say? The implication is that council did not want the public to know the item would be part of the meeting.

I believe 3 items were added to the meeting on 2/8. The two that I remember were about gun restrictions and re-routing truck traffic, which it is supposed to be re-routing HEAVY truck traffic, not every truck. The city council just had a retreat. Don't you think these items were discussed there? So, wouldn't you think they decided when these items would be discussed in a city council meeting? So, can the conclusion be anything other than the council did not want the public to be aware of these two topics before the meeting.

I want to take it one step further though. When an item is on the agenda that the public cares about, where is the public? Who is speaking during public comment? If the public cares about something and wants to be heard, shouldn't they attend the meeting? Why are people shying away from attending a meeting and speaking out? The more you attend, the more comfortable you will feel about getting involved and possibly speaking when you agree or disagree.
Last edited by Laura L on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Laura L

Postby Laura L » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:30 am

I want to add a good note about this meeting as well. I enjoyed seeing Rick Connell and Ron Ensley being honored at the meeting. The mayor does a great job at recognizing people at the meetings. I don't know Ron Ensley, but I still enjoyed listening to his accomplishments and dedication to our community. I do know Rick Connell, so I especially enjoyed listening to him being recognized for his dedication to the boy scouts and our community.

This type of thing is also another good reason to attend council meetings. You learn about the people in our community.

mrmtholly
Site Admin

Postby mrmtholly » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:42 pm

Social Media

Return to “City Council Meetings”