Alcohol in public parks

Other topics in Mt Holly

Scott L

Alcohol in public parks

Postby Scott L » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:56 am

Mount Holly is considering how alcohol could be permitted to be sold, served, and/or distributed in public parks. What does Mount Holly think is a good policy?

rgwiazdzinski

Re: Alcohol in public parks

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:59 pm

i would have no issue with it, i personally would not be a buyer but if others wanted to i would not have a problem with it. i would want an adult with a bar background in charge of the sales to help prevent over serving someone. i do wonder how much it would cost to set up and maintain vs the amount that could be made from the sales.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:23 pm

I think the context of the discussion surrounded permitting someone to serve/sell/distribute alcohol by permit. I heard two scenarios referenced I think:

1) A special event at a public park similar to what is done downtown during Springfest where they have a "beer garden" area. Perhaps if someone rented the soccer field for an outdoor concert or wine tasting or something.

2) A family reunion or other private function where a park shelter is rented and a "box is checked" on the rental form that indicates if there will be alcohol there. (Which presumably would have to specify what "designated area" alcohol is allowed so that people don't roam all over the park or playground with beer in hand.)

Personally, I enjoy an adult recreational beverage now and then. If the permitting process was well-managed and closely supervised, I think it's a good idea to slowly grow into allowing alcohol at some events - which should include thoughtful plans to coexist with people who do not like such things. Like (perhaps) allowing alcohol in a special-permit after dark music concert when the part would normally be closed anyway so that it can't impact the normal alcohol-free use of the facility. Or if there is increasing interest in cookouts with alcohol, only allowing such use at one of the remote shelters away from those that do not want to see it. The only negative I can imagine is liability -- if there is any. I wouldn't want to permit alcohol in public parks if the costs outweigh the gains. It could be that a condition of permitting alcohol in a park is to fund a uniformed law officer to observe the event. And a hefty fee to cleanup if trash is left on the public grounds. That might make it impractical to host family cookouts serving beer at a shelter, but it might make sense for the outdoor concert that wants to serve beer. For my friends that I know that are very against alcohol, it seems they just avoid it -- does anyone know if local folks would go so far as to persuade town leaders to not allow it for those that do not share their no-alcohol morals/beliefs?

rgwiazdzinski

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:55 pm

i don't know if they would or wouldn't but i will say when we first moved to mount holly about 17 years ago you could not buy beer in the grocery store and there was no abc store. all that has changed and i see very little effect on the community so i believe that it would not be opposed heavily if it was implemented in a safe way.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:18 pm

Good discussion on this topic at tonight's council meeting. I think if it weren't for also considering firearms in parks, this might have made progress and been called for a vote. Instead, this will be discussed at the City Council retreat -- likely in conjunction with the firearms in public parks issue.

Mr. Toomey spoke out against consumption of alcohol in the open areas of public parks - perhaps not objecting to consumption inside the community center building by special permit and with law enforcement. Ms. Breyare also had some reservations about the alcohol proposals. The question is... what do the citizens of Mt. Holly want on this matter and how do they let their elected representatives know? Each councilperson has their own opinions which can vary based on religion, morality, health, public safety, life experience, and even what they think children should/shouldn't be exposed. The "default" position should be what the people want that council represents -- but without any organized data to go by, it might just be the personal opinions of the councilpersons that make our town ordinance on this.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Here is the part of council meeting where alcohol in public parks was discussed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Zoo#t=2753

Soliciting the community for input, I can find no clear majority that is for or against this proposal. There are strong feelings and arguments on both sides.

mrmtholly
Site Admin

Postby mrmtholly » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Online poll to illustrate public opinion: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=528

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Yet again, a nice Gaston Gazette piece on a relevant town topic:

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/20160130/beer-at-park

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:51 pm

As decided in City Council, alcohol is now allowed in city parks for city-sponsored events:

http://banner-news.com/mh-council-decid ... 259-71.htm

Social Media

Return to “Misc”