Firearms in public parks

Other topics in Mt Holly

Scott L

Firearms in public parks

Postby Scott L » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:55 am

State legislation has changed what towns can do as far as restricting firearms in public spaces:
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes ... =14-415.23

The city cannot prohibit permitted concealed firearms on a greenway biking/walking path, maybe a dog park, or open areas that are owned by the city. Since the city serves the will of the people, what do the voter of Mount Holly think should be our firearm policy in public spaces and properties?

This topic was proposed at the 8/24/2015 city council workshop: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=338
Last edited by Scott L on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgwiazdzinski

Re: Firearms in public parks

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:24 am

so if i understand correctly, new state law say the city can only ban concealed carry in the rec buildings and on athletic fields during scheduled games....how absurd....my son plays coach pitch and has practice from 6 to 7:30, so i can concealed carry up to 5:59 and then again at 7:31 but there is no posted schedules or anything to inform non team members of schedules so how would a person know when it was legal to carry if this even made sense. sounds like a way to make it so complicated to know when you can carry to discourage you not to carry at all for fear of doing something illegal

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:49 pm

The town suggested that because Mt. Holly had the most restrictive firearm ordinances, they proposed the same in the new environment caused by the state legislature giving less control to towns about denying permitted concealed firearms. I am an expired conceal carry citizen. I've re-taken the training but haven't yet been re-permitted. I would ask for my elected representative to provide the LEAST restrictive policy for citizens permitted to carry a concealed firearm and let them provide that direction to the town for professional implementation of that strategy. When in a public setting, I would be comforted knowing that the good training and competent permitting of interested citizens give the tools and resources to potentially stop someone threatening someone's life before a law officer can intervene -- or perhaps even to assist a law officer who has been incapacitated by a bad guy.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:16 pm

The issue of firearms in public parks was discussed again in tonight's city council meeting. At least two councilpersons expressed an interest in NOT restricting those permitted to conceal-carry. There was disagreement about the open carry part. The Mayor raised a hypothetical situation where NC law now allows carrying on greenways -- but what would happen if someone parked their car in Tuck Park to access the Greenway.... The town might not allow the guns in the park so therefore, it would impact the ability for a law-abiding citizen to have guns on the greenway.

The discussion was thoughtful and I didn't hear any councilperson wanting to restrict the rights of us citizens. Though there seemed to be more thought in the open carry part. So the council tabled a vote until they could discuss it more at length at their retreat. There is also a wise suggestion that this issue should be considered with any alcohol in public parks issue.

City staff presented 4 options -- rather than the single "most restrictive" option like last time.

Chrisb72

Postby Chrisb72 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:09 pm

Online poll created: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=529

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:56 am

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:52 pm

As decided in City Council, concealed firearms are now allowed in public parks with a permit:

http://banner-news.com/mh-council-decid ... 259-71.htm

Social Media

Return to “Misc”