Performing Arts Venu

Growth and development in Mount Holly

Scott L

Performing Arts Venu

Postby Scott L » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:57 pm

It's being discussed/considered that a Performing Arts venue would be appreciated in the town. Suggested venues so far have been:

1) A large outdoor stage - similar to the Charlotte Symphony Park where regional shows would attract people to our town
2) A small outdoor stage - perhaps upgrading the shelter where movies in the park is held to be used for local artists and performances
3) An inside stage downtown

Jcarson 22

Re: Performing Arts Venu

Postby Jcarson 22 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:19 pm

I would love to see an amphitheater (large or small) where people ca come and see movies or concerts! I think this is a great idea!

Jcarson 22

Postby Jcarson 22 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:20 pm

I would love to see an amphitheater (large or small) where people ca come and see movies or concerts! I think this is a great idea!

Jefferson F

Postby Jefferson F » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:56 pm

I look forward to hearing what people think about this in this discussion thread. I am seriously interested in seeing if this would work in town, and if people think it is a good idea or not.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Apparently the Mount Holly Community Development Foundation has already spent funds to do a study on this thing - I think for option #1 above: large outdoor. So this might be an idea to consider with some horses that have already left the barn! They are fishing Facebook to get a list of names of people in support of the idea -- presumably to coordinate a public presence to support the idea:

Jefferson Fortner Yes. Now that we have that established, and your opposition, and your creation of a forum to focus your opposition to an idea that you have only just heard about and heard very little about--and the fact that my original post was simply a request for a yes or no statement as to whether you like the idea or not, could you now stop highjacking the intent of my post (simply to see who did or did not like the idea) and either start another thread here or go to your new forum to continue? I have no issue with you not liking the idea, but other people do, and my intent on this was to just let people say yay or nay.

Jefferson Fortner People come to meetings and we discuss. We talked about this at the annual meeting in February.

Jefferson Fortner And I encourage you to continue the discussion. Just continue it where the intent is to discuss not.

I am a MHCDF member and I know the annual meeting scheduled for February was postponed and held on March12 where they attempted to boost attendance by combining it with a plaque presentation. If anything was discussed, I would have expected that to be documented and distributed in meeting minutes. I did not receive any such documentation or minutes. In the only MHCDF meeting that I attended (Dec 2014 I think), the only people present were the directors. I was the only "plain old member" in attendance and let's just say I was not impressed. But not to distract from this topic of if the outdoor theatre is a good idea or not. (We'll start another topic about the MHCDF.)

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:40 pm

For this discussion: I am not in favor of the large outdoor option.

Reasons:
1) We only have 14,000 citizens to pay for it or the maintenance/land/upkeep/administration it will require. We already have the highest tax rate in Gaston County.
2) None of these kinds of efforts are self-sustaining. Large cities that have lots of hotels could make a case to make a money-losing deal because it would attract business and money for area hotels. MH only has one hotel and one BB -- we shouldn't make a bad deal and also not make money elsewhere.
3) I don't want lots of people coming to my small town. That would mean we would need bigger roads and more stoplights.
4) I'm quite sure this will be under utilized.

I would be interested to see if any feasibility study would say this is something that should be considered. What I would be worried about is the feasibility study that tells the customer what they want to hear. Like whatever feasibility study that said the NASCAR museum was a good idea. Or that the whitewater park was a good idea. Or the Time Warner arena was a good idea. (All lose taxpayer money annually)

Or anyone that offers up opposing opinion for us to consider, I'd like to hear it.

I do think it's perfectly feasible to consider a small venue or an indoor venue.

PS -- Offering up the best criticism is a favor to those that want it. Call out all the reasons not to do it so that they can develop rebuttals to answer the critics. Would love to see if there are answers to the above reasons why not to be for it. (The value for constructive debate is nearly lost in today's politically-charged and polarized culture.)

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:27 pm

The MHCDF 2014 Annual Report says this:

"October - Initial phase of the Outdoor Theater Feasibility Study was conducted. Results were positive and Phase 1 will be in early 2015."

I attended a meeting in December 2014 and I recall this Outdoor Theater was an unstructured idea. Please share when the study was done, how it was done, and what was concluded. Or please publish the meeting minutes of the Dec 2014 meeting that I attended where I might see that I mistakenly heard what I thought was discussed.

Social Media

Return to “Growth and Development”