Riverfront Property

Other topics in Mt Holly

Scott L

Riverfront Property

Postby Scott L » Wed May 13, 2015 6:54 am

There is a large area of undeveloped land that used to be owned by Duke Power between 273 and the river north of the manufacturing facilities. It seems there are a few parcels but the largest one (263 acres) has a tax value of $2,055,543 (per GIS) and is owned by "GASTONIA CITY OF". Legal description is "THE TRUST FOR PUBLIC LAND" and it seems there is no tax on this. Looks like Gastonia might have acquired this as a gift in 2003.

Nearby there is 3.85 acre parcel that Mt. Holly owns. I think I saw mention of Mt. Holly approving the purchase of this land resulting from a closed session. The meeting records did not tell for what purpose this land was acquired. (Deed shows a 2014 transaction)

What could be the strategy of having so much land held by the public?
Attachments
PublicLand.jpg
PublicLand.jpg (191.94 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

Scott L

Re: Riverfront Property

Postby Scott L » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:56 am

I'm not a lawyer but I'd like to know how this works....
Attachments
AmJur471.jpg
AmJur471.jpg (166.78 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:23 am

At least for the 263-acre property, this is the story Todd Pierceall was able to describe on FaceBook in the GastonVotes forum:

"Well, you guys know me, ask a question and I try to get all of the information so here goes. Back when Gastonia installed their water intake, Mt. Holly did not want Gastonia to have an input at Mountain Island and fought hard to prevent it but Gastonia won out and installed the intake. The intake for Gastonia is actually the deepest one at the lake as the thinking was if we put it lower than the intake from Charlotte we will never lose our supply because they would never drop the level in the lake so low that Charlotte would be without water. Pretty smart thinking actually. Mt. Holly on the other hand has the most shallow intake so in a severe drought they may be affected by low lake levels. The reason for so many acres is after the intake was installed, a developer planned a huge subdivision and it was felt that the subdivision could affect the water quality around our intake. The only options were to allow the subdivision or buy the land. We bought the land, which further angered Mt. Holly as it became nontaxable property. As it stands now, I think all has been forgiven and Gastonia and Mt. Holly have a great working relationship. It should be noted that Stanley is supplied by Mt. Holly through their intake and water system and the intake for Charlotte is on the opposite side of the lake. Gastonia's and Mt. Holly's are very close to each other on the same side. I hope that answered everything."

So! There is a 263-acre large parcel that the owner wants preserved to protect their water supply quality. Can the town of Mount Holly lease the land to: install a natural park, walking trail, make a ropes course, or a picnic area -- anything where the public can use the publicly-owned property while ensuring the goal of protecting the water supply is upheld? How about a mountain bike trail?

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Looks like that parcel of land owned by Mount Holly might be used for a new fire station....
Attachments
MHowned.jpg
MHowned.jpg (121.23 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

rgwiazdzinski

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:45 pm

and police substation

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Another effort in town sparked an idea here...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1018&p=1761#p1761

Social Media

Return to “Misc”