Muddy Water

Other topics in Mt Holly

Scott L

Muddy Water

Postby Scott L » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Occasionally unclear water comes from my faucet with city water. It's happened twice and both times the town confirmed it was not a "my problem" but a town problem. Once the town took a water sample and tested it. I did not hear results of the test.

Scott L

Re: Muddy Water

Postby Scott L » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:47 pm

This was the water coming from my faucet in March 2014. No flushing of the municipal water system was occurring. The town confirmed the problem was reported by more than one home nearby.
Attachments
MuddyWater.jpg
MuddyWater.jpg (258.14 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:58 pm

This was one of the dialogs I had with the town on this matter:

Sent: Wed 3/19/2014 11:34 AM
To: james Friday
Subject: RE: Muddy Water - N. Main Street

Thank you, Mr. Friday. As a consumer of public water from various municipalities over the last ~35 years, I've NEVER seen that degree of discolored water come from a municipal water supply. It does not seem plausible that this condition is uniquely from normal sediment that builds up over time -- especially if a competent program of flushing is in place. But, I feel comforted knowing you are still testing the water as a follow up. If a hydrant was opened/closed suddenly, I can understand how a velocity change could stir up sediment -- perhaps in a section of line that doesn't get the benefits of the "flushing program"? Nevertheless, we are interested in the results of your continued testing.

When I starting thinking how something that looked like pond water got into my water, I was worried that perhaps the fire department might have hooked their truck up backwards to a hydrant and pumped pond water into the hydrant or something. :-) That made me wonder if someone were malicious, could anyone pump anything into a hydrant and bypass whatever security is safeguarding the public water plant. (It's a rhetorical question I wonder.)

I acknowledge the staff responded quickly to investigate the issue.

I may take you up on a tour of the water facilities some day -- just out of curiosity mostly. We homeschool two young children who have an affection for the game Sim City where public water works part of the game seems to fascinate them.

Scott

Thephelps

Postby Thephelps » Wed May 06, 2015 11:21 am

I've been in my house for 4 years in Mt Holly and my water has always been an orange color. The man that owns the house replaced all pipes and it's still orange. So I'm to assume it's not my problem but the town's problem. I have to let my water run for about 3 mins for it to finally run clear. We drink bottle water instead. Needs to be fixed, it's disgusting.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Wed May 06, 2015 11:52 am

Thephelps wrote:I've been in my house for 4 years in Mt Holly and my water has always been an orange color. The man that owns the house replaced all pipes and it's still orange. So I'm to assume it's not my problem but the town's problem. I have to let my water run for about 3 mins for it to finally run clear. We drink bottle water instead. Needs to be fixed, it's disgusting.

Did you contact the town to ask them what their opinion of the problem was? After my episode, I found that the hot water heaters (I have 2) stored some of the orange water and after the cold water cleared the hot water remained cloudy until I let the hot water tanks drain. When I reported the problem, the town determined that others in the area also reported it so I didn't do anything to fix it. My house has all new PEX water lines in it -- even the service line from the meter. (New since 2006)

I have been toying with the idea of installing one of those $250 whole-house water filters from Lowes. Has anyone used one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_31217-43353-WHE ... Id=1082883

ZM4MountHolly

Postby ZM4MountHolly » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:58 am

I know this is a delayed response but here are a few things that may be causing the discolored water.

1. If the pipes were changed in the home, there is a possibility that the stub-out nipples from the walls or in the shower downspout are galvanized. So, even with new PEX, PVC (which I frown on) or copper piping, I have seen some cases where a small amount of rust developed in a stub-out nipple and when water sits in the line and isn’t used for a few hours, a rusty color is visible for a minute or two.

2. A broken main line can draw in red clay and discolor the water. I have seen this many times when the city has to repair the aging water lines when they break. And currently there is a broken water line on North Main that has been broken for at least two days. (I called in and reported it since it wasn’t fixed btw). Additionally, when you have a broken water line in your street it is wise to flush your water line by opening your hose bib outside. You need to do this because debris that can be in the line when the repair is made can clog the cartridges and valves in your faucets, causing a headache and plumber fees.

3. If the rust color is in your hot water side only, it is the indication that sediment is in the tank or a heating element is failing in electric tanks. In this case, flush your tank from the bottom drain valve and check your element. An element is inexpensive so it is just wise to change it if you are draining a tank that is over 4 or 5 years old but be sure to turn the power off before doing any service to the tank.

Social Media

Return to “Misc”