12/14/2015 7pm

What is scheduled. what happened, and what do you think about the items in Mt Holly's City Council Meetings

mrmtholly
Site Admin

12/14/2015 7pm

Postby mrmtholly » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:33 am

Scott L

Re: 12/14/2015 7pm

Postby Scott L » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 am

Swearing in of newly-elected council members and their first meeting in "the chair".

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:06 pm

December 14, 2015
7:00 P.M.
CALL TO ORDER BY THE MAYOR
INVOCATION
Reverend Eric Lively, Pastor of Grace Baptist Church
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Boy Scout Troop 59
SET THE AGENDA
SPECIAL RECOGNITION Mayor Bryan Hough
SWEARING –IN CEREMONY
1. Oath of Office for Councilwoman Carolyn Breyare Jesse B. Caldwell III
2. Oath of Office for Councilman Jeff Meadows Jesse B. Caldwell III
3. Oath of Office for Councilman Perry Toomey Jesse B. Caldwell III
4. Oath of Office for Mayor Bryan Hough Jesse B. Caldwell III
CONSENT AGENDA
1. Approval of Liens for Clearing of Weeds and Grass
 102 Maple Drive
 228 Piedmont Avenue
2. Approval of the 2016 Art and Music Festival
3. Approval of the 2016 Meeting Schedule
4. Approval of Recreation Commission Re-Appointments
5. Approval of Budget Amendment for the Purchase of Fire Trucks
6. Approval of the minutes of the November 9, 2015 Council Meeting
PRESENTATIONS
1. Swearing In Ceremony for Officer Michael Dodd Mayor Bryan Hough
2. Presentation of Employee Service Awards Mayor Bryan Hough
PUBLIC HEARING
PUBLIC COMMENT – Three (3) Minute Limit
OLD BUSINESS
NEW BUSINESS
1. Council Appointments Mayor Bryan Hough
Mayor Pro Tem—Councilman David Moore
City Attorney—Kemp Michael
City Auditors—Martin and Starnes
Tax Collector—Sandra Walker
2. Consideration and Approval of the Gaston County Township Grants Danny Jackson
OTHER BUSINESS
CLOSED SESSION
ADJOURN

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Video of council meeting posted:

https://youtu.be/DA0HhshQ4cI

(New camera. Better audio.)

A nice meeting all the way around. Does anyone know what the 5 proposals were that are being submitted to the County? I suppose they will come out in the minutes or something? We Mount Holly residents are also County residents/voters/taxpayers. I'll find these proposals and suggest which ones I will try to encourage our county leaders to fund.

Laura L

Postby Laura L » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:54 pm

The city council meeting for 12/14 was a great meeting. I enjoyed seeing the mayor, council persons, & a new police officer being sworn into their respective roles. Carolyn Breyare had a wonderful sentiment to share with us all about her service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA0Hhsh ... page#t=657 I enjoyed that and found her words to be so true. I also enjoyed seeing so many city employees being honored for their years of dedication.

For me going to the meetings at first was a way to get more involved in the community. Now I am finding though that going to the meetings is a great way to get to know the city better and get to know our neighbors better as well.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:07 am

The 5 proposals that were voted on are:

1) $250k toward construction of new north fire station
2) $156k toward extension of sewer service to the north fire station location
3) $224k toward a downtown parking lot
4) $320k toward a sidewalk on Oak Trail Rd.
5) $80k toward the greenway construction

I see no reason not to encourage our County representative to advocate for ALL of this funding:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=516

This money is available to those who fight for it best: http://www.gastongazette.com/article/20 ... /151028845

Friends and neighbors, please pile on to get a share of the benefit from the hospital in Gastonia we helped fund.
Attachments
OurPiece.jpg
OurPiece.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
Last edited by Scott L on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:31 am

What I wrote to my County Commissioner today:

Commissioner Brown:

I have reviewed the five proposals the town of Mount Holly is submitting to Gaston County for consideration of funding assistance. These projects not only better Mount Holly, but also in ways benefit the county. Therefore, I ask that you strongly advocate the funding of these efforts from the County coffers. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you do that.

Sincerely,
Scott Lilly
420 N. Main St.
Mount Holly

rgwiazdzinski

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:03 pm

before I throw my support for these projects I have some question, how much do these projects completely cost and how will it affect our mount holly city taxes. my second concern is more of a devils advocate response....if we build a fire station and extend a sewer line before a development is announced are we not subsidizing that developer who can now come in later and build and attach much closer to the sewer than before the extension saving that developer, and having a fire station would definitely be a selling point as well. if we endorse these projects are we actually giving approval to our council to go into a bad deal with charlotte over sewer capacity that would be needed for future development, again saving a developer and maybe leaving the mount holly tax payers felling a bit flushed :D

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:21 pm

rgwiazdzinski wrote:before I throw my support for these projects I have some question, how much do these projects completely cost and how will it affect our mount holly city taxes. my second concern is more of a devils advocate response....if we build a fire station and extend a sewer line before a development is announced are we not subsidizing that developer who can now come in later and build and attach much closer to the sewer than before the extension saving that developer, and having a fire station would definitely be a selling point as well. if we endorse these projects are we actually giving approval to our council to go into a bad deal with charlotte over sewer capacity that would be needed for future development, again saving a developer and maybe leaving the mount holly tax payers felling a bit flushed :D

Great questions! The question of "how much will it cost us" was made by Councilman Toomey in the meeting. And I did follow up with a request to get that information in writing from the City Manager. Here's the breakdown:

1) $250k toward construction of new north fire station (10% for $2.5M total)
2) $156k toward extension of sewer service to the north fire station location (100% for $156k total)
3) $224k toward a downtown parking lot (80% for $280k total)
4) $320k toward a sidewalk on Oak Trail Rd. (61% of $520k total)
5) $80k toward the greenway construction (Additional to combine with the already awarded $800k NCDOT grant)

Per the council meeting and the Mayor's statements, these items are 100% budgeted for the city to pay anyway. (Time uncertain) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA0Hhsh ... age#t=2925) What would be interesting is what to do with any already-budgeted money if the county picks up some of the bill.

The new North Fire Department ship has already sailed. No stopping it now. But we indeed need to be vigilant toward additional growth measures. No more having unchecked expansion using our city tax dollars. Our council is aware of the community desire to remain small. Now we need to hold them accountable to push back on those who don't like what we voters/taxpayers want.
Last edited by Scott L on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rgwiazdzinski

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:27 pm

I figured as much on the fire station, it just sure seems like we are being set up for expansion and growth by setting the frame work a little at a time.... I wonder what will happen with the lucia/riverbend fire station just down the road from the new station?
Last edited by rgwiazdzinski on Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:32 pm

rgwiazdzinski wrote:I figured as much on the fire station, it just sure seems like we are being set up for expansion and growth by setting the frame work a little at a time.... I wonder what will happen with the volunteer fire station just down the road from the new station?

Not sure. A MHFD employee recently suggested there aren't enough full time employee FD staff to handle everything. So one would assume the volunteer organization will remain instrumental in our town's fire fighting capacity. (Which in my opinion is not at all lacking anything.) And also rely on the county partnerships with other agencies.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Gaston County funded some of our requests:

Sewer extension to Lucia Riverbend Hwy granted $156,000 of $156,000
North Fire Station construction assistance granted $14,000 of $250,000
Catawba Riverfront Greenway granted $80,000 of $80,000

Ref: http://www.gastongazette.com/news/20160 ... y/?Start=1

Not found in the funded projects:
$224k toward a downtown parking lot
$320k toward a sidewalk on Oak Trail Rd.

Social Media

Return to “City Council Meetings”