9/14/2015 7pm

What is scheduled. what happened, and what do you think about the items in Mt Holly's City Council Meetings

mrmtholly
Site Admin

9/14/2015 7pm

Postby mrmtholly » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:32 am

Scott L

Re: 9/14/2015 7pm

Postby Scott L » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:12 pm

September 14, 2015
7:00 P.M.
CALL TO ORDER BY THE MAYOR
INVOCATION
Dr. Kendall Cameron, First Baptist Church
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
Boy Scout Troop 59
SET THE AGENDA
CONSENT AGENDA
1. Approval of Lien for Weeds and Grass
2. Approval of a Proclamation for Dyslexia Awareness Month
3. Approval of the Hicks Bell Sewer Maintenance Bond Release
4. Approval of the minutes from the August 10, 2015 Council Meeting
5. Approval of the minutes from the August 24, 2015 Work Session Meeting
PRESENTATIONS
1. Boy Scout Popcorn Sales Kickoff Amber Parsons
2. Swearing In Ceremony for Officer Anthony Huskins Mayor Bryan Hough
3. Recognition of Officer Jerry Arthurs for Achieving his Advanced Certificate Chief Roper
4. Recognition of Officers for Exemplary Service Chief Roper
PUBLIC HEARING
1. Public Hearing on the Financing of Two (2) Fire Trucks Jamie Guffey
PUBLIC COMMENT – Three (3) Minute Limit
OLD BUSINESS
1. Consideration and Approval of the Amendments to Section 21-14 (Firearms) Marie Anders
and Section 21-20 (Intoxicating Liquors and Beverages) of the City Code
NEW BUSINESS
OTHER BUSINESS
CLOSED SESSION
ADJOURN

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Another video recording of this month's council meeting can be found here: https://youtu.be/GLaRBLyVp0k

To note: The item from last month's workshop regarding firearms and alcohol was removed from the agenda at the beginning of the meeting. No explanation was given.

All the other items on the agenda were held. The MH police were impressive.

From the last month's council workshop, two discussion topics were created. Of course, all opinions welcomed:
Firearms: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=342
Alcohol: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=343

(I don't know how council receives input from or asks input from the community to know how to well-represent their constituents.)

rgwiazdzinski

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:05 am

do you know if there was any discussion of lightning detection systems being installed at the parks and ball fields? i had contacted all the city council, parks and rec, and mayor, i heard back from parks and rec, seemed like a blow off, mayor also seemed like a blow off, and councilman Gowen who truly seemed interested in learning more about it and what it would take, he said he would contact the city manager and see about getting it in discussion a few weeks ago i am just not sure how long it takes for something like that before you see it for discussion at a council meeting.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:18 am

I heard nothing mentioned of the lightning detection system last night. And there was nothing on the agenda about it.

rgwiazdzinski

Postby rgwiazdzinski » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:10 am

i wonder should i give them one more meeting or should i push the issue now?

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Based on personal experience and lessons learned, I would guess your best effort might be to engage all 6 councilpersons separately. It seems some councilpersons are more approachable than others. Some know better how to consider the concerns of constituents. And some communicate better than others. As you go through this, I would find it helpful if your posted your experiences working with each councilperson so we will have another data point of how they perform the business of representing a people:

viewforum.php?f=8

From my experiences getting a well-qualified and highly-socialized proposal for routing heavy industrial freight off of N. Main, I started with the Mayor and he pointed me in the right direction. He promised to add the item to the agenda if Councilman Toomey brought it to council as the most knowledgeable on the matter. Mr. Toomey reviewed the proposal and said it deserved consideration so he brought it forward for consideration. In my opinion, the Mayor played a trick with the agenda so that the idea was not considered. (Instead of considering the proposal of routing traffic off N. Main, the Mayor-led discussion was about how to fix the road.) It remains to be seen if there is another way and another time when the idea will be considered. I see evidence that instead of considering the issue, efforts are being made to mitigate the problem -- at least maybe until elections are over. (?) The whole thing is just too clandestine and back-door to be considered "good government" -- all my opinion of course.

In my issue, Mr. Toomey considered my well-formed proposal. He brought it to council to consider. And then something changed where during the council meeting where the issue was to be discussed, someone else hijacked the issue while Mr. Toomey sat silent. When Councilwoman Breyare asked when it could be discussed further, she was shut down and has not responded to my e-mail inquiry on how to discuss it further. I couldn't help but notice that during the meeting the Mayor spoke highly of Freightliner and after the meeting a senior Freightliner person had conversation with the Mayor. From my perspective, the appearance of how my concern and issue was handled was the mayor bullied council into silence in favor of the industry in town.

ZM4MountHolly

Postby ZM4MountHolly » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:19 pm

The firearms and alcohol item was removed from the agenda for further review and may be brought up again by the Mayor in the future. I have been asked to be notified when this is to be an item on the agenda so our citizens can make their voices heard to the council.

Council was presented with 4 options for Firearms in recreational areas (note: a local govt cannot regulate firearms on a green way)

Option 1 - No Conceal Carry with or without a permit and no open carry.
Option 2 - Both Open Carry and Conceal Carry with a permit are allowed.
Option 3 - Open Carry is allow but no conceal carry with or without a permit.
Option 4 - Conceal Carry with a Permit Only.

My Option on option 1 -
See my opinion on option 4

My Opinion on option 2 -
I think open carry in a park is a bad idea. If I go to the park and there are people open carrying firearms, I'm probably not coming back. I only want to see open carry if you are in law enforcement in my regular day to day life. Especially if I am out coaching soccer sessions, enjoying the park's open spaces or playing flag football with my friends when I would rather not be wondering why someone decided to walk around with a firearm strapped to their side.

My Opinion on option 3 -
Again, I am not going to a park that allows open carry. This would make many people uncomfortable with the all that is on the news these days.

My Opinion on option 4-
As a conceal carry permit holder, I think this option is the best. Many conceal permit holders are responsible gun owners and don't ever want to use their gun (plus it is concealed and needs to stay that way). If we outlaw guns totally, do you really think that someone that is not a law abiding citizen and normally illegally carries a concealed gun is really going to think twice about breaking this local ordinance? I don't. I would rather a few people be in the area who have taken a class on lawfully using their weapon and had to qualify in a gun range be in the park just in case there is a non-law abiding individual that decides to harm them or someone else.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:09 am

"I have been asked to be notified when this is to be an item on the agenda so our citizens can make their voices heard to the council." -- The hallmark characteristic of a good elected representative! Not someone trying to decide for us without our input. Not someone trying to dictate to us your opinion. And not someone that easily negotiates our rights and wishes away to other entities because you think you should represent their interests as much as the voters' interests.

I happen to share your opinion, Mr. Melton. But if I didn't, I would appreciate the public consideration/discussion on the matter.

On a completely unrelated matter, I was informed that you'll be showing soccer players some moves on 9/24 and 10/1 6:30-8pm at Tuck Park. I have a young boy who would appreciate learning some moves and I'd like to finally get to meet you -- I'll see you then!

ZM4MountHolly

Postby ZM4MountHolly » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:46 pm

Yes, I will be doing specialized sessions for the Mount Holly soccer league this season. I haven't been able to dedicated time for a full season of coaching since 2013 so I hope that these sessions will help some players learn focused drills and skills to better their game.

Social Media

Return to “City Council Meetings”