Mayor Bryan Hough

Public actions, public policy, public statements, public positions that citizens and taxpayers should know.

mrmtholly
Site Admin

Mayor Bryan Hough

Postby mrmtholly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Scott L

Re: Mayor Bryan Hough

Postby Scott L » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:30 pm

Last name is pronounced "huff".

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:32 pm

The Mayor's term is up this year. (2015)

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Fri May 15, 2015 5:03 pm

I asked Mr. Hough for a meeting once to discuss a matter of public interest. He made time for me and heard my concern. He helped me advance my concern by putting me in touch with the right people. And he offered a little perspective on "how things work" so that I could more efficiently/effectively address my concern with the right people.

I've also watched him run a council meeting and in my opinion, the meeting was well-run. (I've seen too many elsewhere that are not as well-run.)

I placed a formal concern before him and he politely acknowledged my voice was heard. (I did not get the same courtesy from some of the councilpersons.)

In my meeting with the Mayor, it felt difficult at first to connect with him -- but that didn't stop our meeting from being effective. (Which could easily have been my problem entirely as it takes two to connect.) I make that reference only for people who might meet Mr. Hough for the first time -- don't draw any opinion of him too quickly or only after a brief conversation.

I have a slight concern that the Mayor might be too influenced by town staff and that he might have an opinion that he should be helping Mt. Holly blindly grow the tax base. I say a slight concern because it might only be an evolving realization that the citizens of Mt. Holly want to keep our town small and walkable and perhaps elected folk haven't heard that yet loudly enough or haven't noticed that perhaps we're at a limit of more growth would mean less small town. If Mr. Hough decides to run for re-election, I'd consider him a good candidate. But would love to also have a choice to consider. (No offense to Mayor Hough.) I see him in lots of public photos with a smile so I know he's putting in the time and effort to be the face of Mt. Holly.

mrmtholly
Site Admin

Postby mrmtholly » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Mayor Hough filed today for being considered to be re-elected as Mt. Holly Mayor.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:06 pm

Good luck to Mayor Hough. Agree or disagree with the Mayor's positions and opinions, I can vouch that at least from my perspective he approaches his duties with integrity and honesty.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:23 pm

I think it's safe to call the November 2015 election today. Mayor Hough is unchallenged with no other candidate filing for Mt. Holly Mayor. Congratulations to Mayor Hough. I look forward to many more public photos with your face in them! Please represent us well with your smile.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:33 am

This is an illustration how I believe Mayor Hough influences city council. Having the greater community's interests in mind is probably a good thing for a mayor. So the mayor's manipulation is not necessarily bad; but we need city council members who can understand this manipulation and stand up to represent the voters in spite of it. Mr. Toomey did not insist the proposal get discussed in the meeting and instead let the Mayor change the subject. Councilwoman Breyare asked when the issue could be discussed further and the Mayor shut her down. 50 voters came to see this issue discussed and it was not - even though it was on the agenda. What was discussed was how N. Main would be repaired - and that was not what was on the proposal that Mr. Toomey sent to council for discussion.
Attachments
Players.jpg
Players.jpg (74.23 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:50 pm

In private conversations, I usually stand up for Brian Hough, Mayor of Mount Holly. And typically I have to explain myself as people seem shocked that I would stand up for someone who to some appears against the people on some matters. (Or at least whatever matter is at hand that is being discussed) As I find myself sometimes shortcutting my explanation, that’s not fair to the Mayor. So here is the lengthy explanation so I have the option to point people to it.

The Mayor represents our entire town and is a facilitator in the negotiations that need to occur with City Council. In many ways he is aligned with the City Manager: following/representing the strategic direction City Council sets for our town. The mayor does not decide strategy – unless Council is tied – then the Mayor can vote to break the tie. I've even heard the position of Mayor to be the "salesman of the town" - that makes sense to me.

Issues come before City Council from those in the town (citizens or businesses), from those that have an interest in the town (property owners or prospective property owners), or from government itself (ours or others). In all cases, those bringing issues are to negotiate with the voters of Mount Holly represented by those they elected to negotiate on our behalf: 6 Councilpersons. The Mayor is not one of those elected to represent us voters – unless you lump us voters in with everyone to include businesses and non-voters.

So if it feels like the Mayor advocates against us voters, in some cases, that might be true. And that’s proper. In my opinion, Mayor Brian Hough has a strong and sometimes intimidating personality; and it’s also my opinion that he is very politically skilled. It’s my desire not to have a less strong Mayor – but a more strong Council. That way, our councilpersons can negotiate more strongly for us voters than traditionally they have done.

Has the mayor played politics with an issue I am involved? Yes – he’s a politician, that’s his job. But he’s also so far managed a public and controversial topic with skill. A weak or unskilled mayor would mean a public debate/consideration on a controversial subject would fall into chaos and lack a structure/discipline that allows debate to be productive. That is the lengthy explanation why I stand up for Mayor Brian Hough.

I should also state that I almost don’t know the Mayor to form any personal opinion about him. My experience with him has been limited to a very few conversations about town business.

Social Media

Return to “Town Officials of Mt Holly”