Councilman Jeff Meadows

Public actions, public policy, public statements, public positions that citizens and taxpayers should know.

Scott L

Councilman Jeff Meadows

Postby Scott L » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Filed today.

Scott L

Re: Mt. Holly Councilman Candidate Jeff Meadows

Postby Scott L » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:31 am

I met with Mr. Meadows at a community cookout, I've seen Mr. Meadows at a council meeting, and my wife bumped into Mr. Meadows at a downtown event. Mr. Meadows I believe was or is on the MH planning committee. His occupation involves working with low-income housing in or with the City of Charlotte. The attached is a public profile screen shot from LinkedIn.
Attachments
JeffMeadows.jpg
JeffMeadows.jpg (166.37 KiB) Viewed 2819 times

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:31 am

I had the opportunity to sit down with Mr. Meadows one-on-one for more than an hour to discuss Mount Holly politics at a fine Mount Holly establishment. It was clear to me that Mr. Meadows is very involved and aware of many issues our community faces. Though Mr. Meadows does not contribute to online public forums such as this one, it was clear he consumes the information in them. When I spoke about how it's voters that hold councilpersons accountable, he understood and appreciated that point. (As opposed to Business and Government holding them accountable.) He shares a concern with me in that in a town of more than 9,000 voters, only about 350 of them decide a councilperson due to poor turnout and lack of engagement during city elections. He promised me that if he were in a councilman seat, he would be open, honest, and transparent about his governing. He demonstrated as much to me about his candidacy so far.

Mr. Meadows has lots of dealings with town government in Charlotte. He's formally educated in public administration and he knows how to avoid conflict of interest situations. Hearing him speak and what his ambitions are, I seriously doubt morals/ethics would ever be a problem -- even though he's neck-deep in the city affairs in Charlotte. If anything, due to his profession and formal education Mr. Meadows would be an expert quickly realizing what roles people have trying to influence him. I spoke of my experiences with a town attorney trying to "recommend" courses of action for a commission on which I once served. I told him it took me two years before I understood that my role as a commissioner was to act correctly even when the attorney strongly advised me to make a "less risky" decision. Mr. Meadows affirmed "it is the attorney's role" to advise me like he did and I feel confident that Mr. Meadows understands the role of councilman sometimes is to not follow along with whatever it is that is being proposed, recommended, or supported by government.

A few times our discussion might have gotten into specific issues such as routing truck traffic off N. Main. I don't recall him stating any clear positions -- but it does seem his method of processing information and deriving a conclusion is by asking questions. (And not the loaded kind either designed to passively argue a position.) And if we want a council that serves us voters, we need councilpersons asking us questions rather than telling us voters how it is. Mr. Meadows knows the Strategic Vision Plan well and if our town government would try to hijack that vision, I think Mr. Meadows would be keen on that and be sure it remains a citizen-supported and citizen-sponsored document that documents "what voters want" of our town.

Mr. Meadows claims to want "good government" as measured by the voters -- and after more than an hour speaking about issues where I think we could have "better government", I believe him. If you want the opportunity to meet Mr. Meadows and form your own opinion, I'd suggest you'll find him ready to meet you at any council meeting or most public social events like Movies in the Park or Arts on N. Main. He looks just like the LinkedIn photo posted here so you should have no problem picking him out.

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:40 pm

This is Mr. Meadow's website: http://jeffmeadows.us/

This is Mr. Meadow's election card that my wife received from him at a community function:
Attachments
ElectionCardBack.jpg
ElectionCardBack.jpg (316.72 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
ElectionCardFront.jpg
ElectionCardFront.jpg (364.77 KiB) Viewed 2745 times

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Mr. Meadows seems to have a Facebook page that represents him running for council: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010252603480

Jeff Meadows

Postby Jeff Meadows » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:42 am

The Banner news asked each candidate to respond to what is the biggest issue in Mt. Holly over the next five years and what do you plan to do about it.

Banner News Response:
I am excited to be running for office. Serving Mt. Holly’s constituents with a fresh perspective and a positive outlook are my top priorities. Growth will be our greatest opportunity in the near future. Our leadership (City staff, appointed positions and elected officials) has achieved a great baseline. For the last 7 plus years I have served on the Planning Commission and this experience has equipped me to serve. My approach will be to first listen and learn then act accordingly.

I will support a thriving community functioning within our means through balanced growth (Residential and Commercial); economic development (Job Creation and Retention); preserving our quality of life (Community Events and Programs); encouraging civic engagement; and top quality services to our citizens. Updating our Strategic Vision Plan with specific input from our citizens will be a key element to continue Mount Holly’s success as a community of choice.

Thanks for reading my response.

Jeff Meadows

Postby Jeff Meadows » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:50 am

Jeff Meadows 18x24.jpg
Jeff Meadows 18x24.jpg (173.18 KiB) Viewed 2699 times

Scott L

Postby Scott L » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 am

Hi, Jeff. When you talk about "opportunity for growth", are you talking:

(a) annexation (more territory)
(b) higher density development (more people in our town)
(c) increased property values (more quality)

I think it's important to distinguish what kind of growth when you speak of it. I've heard "growth the tax base" from many leaders as something they want to do. Using some combination of the above kind of growth is how they want to do that -- and I think it would be important to voters how you want to do that. (Hint: The Strategic Vision Plan describes how some of that growth should be -- some town leaders think the SVP needs updating and perhaps might not respect all of what's in the SVP.)

PS -- I very much appreciate you recognizing the SVP as a tool to get our community aligned.

Jeff Meadows

Postby Jeff Meadows » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Thanks for the opportunity to offer a more detailed response about "Opportunities for Growth".

Community involvement is key to a healthy & thriving community. The Strategic Vision Plan (SVP) is a living document that should be updated from time to time. A vision is a lofty goal. The SVP provides guiding principals by the constituents of Mt. Holly for their elected officials. As I understand it, the original plan sought and received significant input from citizens. The champions of the revised plan must seek the same in the update of the SVP. Civic engagement is important to creating communities of choice. Mt. Holly is a community of choice and I want to be a part of keeping it that way.

Our city would benefit from increased retail development, the addition of various restaurant choices and another grocery store. Office development should also be explored as well. These land uses lend themselves to infill development vs. annexation. Property values are impacted positively by these types of land use. The tax base and revenue is expanded with this type of development since they pay property tax and the city receives a portion of the sales tax collected.

Our town will continue to grow. We should use several tools to impact this growth. We have the ability to direct the expansion of sewer and water service, conditional use zoning districts, overlay districts and implementation of our economic development strategies to shape our future growth. We need to be mindful of our past history as we shape our future direction. Preserving where we came from is an important base to guide where we will go as a community.

I hope to see our city leaders (not just those elected) explore ways to support our local businesses such as "buy from local business events" or "local business to business buying programs" or concepts not yet developed or explored. We should support our own to the greatest extent possible.

I hope the above response provides greater detail to what I mean when I say "Balanced Growth". It will be an honor to serve if the voters of Mt. Holly choose me.

Laura L

Postby Laura L » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:16 am

I will vote for Jeff Meadows for city council. I think Jeff will perform his council duties with integrity, and I trust that he will listen to the people’s concerns. My husband and I have seen Jeff & his family out & about the most of the candidates running for council. I have enjoyed meeting his family. His wife is so nice, and his children are adorable. One of the things that impressed me about Jeff early on is that he said one of his reasons for getting more involved was because he wanted to be a good example for his children. He approaches people and carries on conversations with ease. He seems very willing to talk with people and listen to their concerns. I have also been able to see him look at a situation objectively and draw his own conclusion instead of possibly following someone else’s lead.

I have also talked with other people in the community who have come to know Jeff because he has been out there meeting & talking to people. They have told me that they plan to vote for Jeff as well.

I believe Jeff will be a great addition to city council.

Laura Lilly

Scott L

Re: Councilman Jeff Meadows

Postby Scott L » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:42 pm

Social Media

Return to “Town Officials of Mt Holly”